I have lost all my money,
And i am on my way home;
Home to the hills and a field of rocks.
Nothing in the city but a sickness of the soul,
Nothing to earn but sorrow….
I have lost all my money
And i am on my way home- Ruskin Bond
We are a blessed country for having the Himalayas and we are a blessed country for tourists have reached in numbers just to Shimla, Manali and Nainital. Had a film not been shot in Leh, it would have been the paradise as it was 10 years back. Thanks to the vastness of this country, 126 crore plus in numbers and we still have places for the traveler devoid of multitude of tourists. For the traveler in you, here is a list of hill stations that you must try.
- Kausani: Situated at about 428.7 km from Delhi, Kausani is small hill town in Bageshwar District of Uttrakhand. The city offers a panormic view of the Nanda Devi Biosphere. You can spend a day just sipping tea and gazing at the mountains. If you are a trekking enthusiast you must hire a local guide and do the a day trek to Pinnath.
2) Munsiyari: Situated at 711 km from Delhi, Munsiyari is a hill station perched at an altitude of 2298m above sea level.Just considering the mammoth distance from Delhi, the place offers so much on the route to Munsiyari.If you are Munsiyari you must visit Madkot for the hot water springs. For trekking enthusiasts a trip to Khaliya top is highly recommended for it offers amazing view of snow capped mountains. However the best part is that even from your hotel room you can sip a cup of tea and see the mountains in the daytime and starry skies in the night.
3) Narkanda: At an altitude of 2710m and a distance of 403 km from Delhi, Narkanda is an amazing hill station situated in the nagar panchayat Shimla district. Relax in this town over a coffee and magnificent view of the Himalayas from the The Himalayan Hotel. Don’t miss out on a trek to the Hatu Peak, you will cherish the views.
4) Kalpa: I have been to Kalpa twice and given a choice I would like to be here again and again. Kalpa is the gateway for Kinnaur Kailash trek and a snap at Sucide point will leave others speechless.I had the opportunity to be here once in February, I rode my bike in snow and every inch of effort was total worth it. At a distance 581 km from Delhi, it is in amazing destination to be.
5) Chitkul: At a distance of 602 km from Delhi,Chitkul is a paradise in its own.Ever imagined a river and snow capped mountains in your dreams, yes it will come true. Chitkul is the Last village on the old Hindustan-Tibet trade route. A km walk would lead one to the Indo tibetan Check post. The panorama of Chitkul is most stunning with imposing close range Himalayan views. Just a cup of tea admiring views and surroundings could be nothing short of an experience.
6)Chopta :Imagine a midnight trek to view a sunrise at Chandrashila, yes Chopta will make it possible. Chopta is the gateway to Tungnath,the highest Shiva temple in the world.At 405 km from Delhi, Chopta is a complete paradise, try it in spring for some spectacular colors.
7)Kalga: At 537 km from Delhi,Kalga is a small village in the Parvati Valley. Though Parvati valley is more know for kasol and Tosh, this village will give you absolute seclusion and at the same time few peaceful cafes.Come down the village and start the Kheer Ganga trek or walk to a cafe at Tosh or just walk to the nearest waterfall and spend a day.Come here and you will not want to go back.
8)Mcleodganj: Dharmshala and Mcleodganj are slowly getting very commercialized especially because of the close proximity to Kangra airport.At a distance of 477 km from Delhi. Still i keep this in my list for the love of Triund and a trip to nearby Palampur. Spend a winter here and you will see how beautiful nature can be.
9) Nahan Valley: About 270 km from Delhi, this could be your weekend getaway from Delhi.Sri renuka ji in Nahan Valley is a peaceful abode with a lake in front and temple by the side.I spent a day by the river nearby and a 10km run around the place.Just relax over tea and a book at this quiet place.Don’t miss out on an amazing waterfall about 30km on the way to Sri Renuka ji.
10)Mukteshwar:At 2286 m and a distance of 360 km from Delhi, Mukteshwar is another amazing hill station for a peaceful abode.Close to Almora, this can be your rest day on a trip to ranikhet or almora.Do ask the locals for a way to the mukteshwar mahadev temple and trek to this place rather than the road, it will be an amazing experience.